Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BtownVolvo

Opinion: Sig P239 .40 vs. HK USP .40

I'm presently going in between a Sig P239 .40 and a HK USP .40 for carrying purposes. Primary concerns are comfort and compactness.I've fired the P239 and loved it, but recently a friend suggested to look into the USP as well. Anyone have any experience with the USP or maybe point out key differences?And yes I know you only consider Sig for carrying, Chuck.

Completely different weapons. Key points are ones is plastic one is alloy for the frame. Both have pros and cons but there is a huge difference in the way they feel, IE personal preference. The HK also has a safety. Personally I will not carry a DA with a safety. Again though thats a personal preference. The HK has a polybore barrel where as the Sig has traditional land and groove. The HK is a double stack mag vs a single stack. Reliability and concealment go to the single stack configuration, where as ammo capacity goes to the double. You cannot go wrong with either weapon. For concealment though I say the edge goes to the sig due to size. I would lean towards something more like a P238 however due to weight, and the fact you live somewhere thats 1000000 degrees most days.

[quote name='BtownVolvo' timestamp='1327644382' post='13']Why would temperature factor into it out of curiosity?[/quote]In alaska you can conceal a .50 Deagle no problem. In FL thats not gonna happen..... well for work I had to wear a coat for just that reason but that sucked in the summer

Ok so I went to the range Saturday and talked with some of the guys there. They are Glock fanboys so I'm not sure where I should place my opinion. They basically had the idea that HK was garbage and that the P238 wasn't good either because it was "too small" and also had a safety. So after talking with the guy for some time I ended up firing a Kahr K9 9mm. Feels awesome from a weight and compact standpoint as well as grip and the fact it has a slide lock. I still can't get past the 9mm part, though. It also jammed once or twice, but I have a feeling that was due to the shitty rounds that have been put through it from being a loaner gun.If they had a .380 Kahr (which they very well may have...I haven't looked into it yet), I might be okay with it though. But I'll be damned if they weren't preaching the gospel of Glock. :rolleyes:

We have some Glock guys here. All I ever say to them is there is a reason no federal agency on earth will touch them. People like Glocks for the same reason people like Kias. They are plastic and cheap. As for the Khar, I would not even consider anything that has ever jammed that many times after being broken in. Was it FTE, or an actual jam? My sigs have 10k+ rounds never an issue. Even my old S&W had over 9k rounds through it and it FTFed once maybe twice. <-- said only half jokingWhat do you mean you liked the slide lock? Every pistol should have a slide lock.

No I went with Jeriad (Jwoo) and shot his LCP and that doesn't have a slide lock. There were a couple instances where the slide wouldn't fully engage once I released it and the big one was somehow (I can't remember how) a round was chambered and it was trying to chamber another round. So I had to hold the slide open, drop the magazine, and jiggle both rounds out. Weird.Maybe it happened because when the slide didn't fully engage, I went to clear it again and it didn't eject the round it chambered and tried to chamber another round. That's my guess...Either way, probably off the table.

Thats FTE. For whatever reason the previous round was not extracted. Nothing to do with the magazine there. Thats an extractor or chamber problem. As for the LCP you mean it does not have an internal slide lock. IE it does not lock back on the last round, but there is a slide lock. Yeahs thats an issue with the super slim pistols. Another reason for Sig or H&KIts not even really any smaller:[img]http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq156/bad400man/sigp238-lcp.jpg[/img]

Bud, you already know how I feel about Glock. If you're shooting someone elses, and the rounds are free, that is winning. If you're looking to actually purchase one, look elsewhere. You know I'm going hard on HK .40 USP, love love love that weapon. Also, I think I may be a little bias due to being active and carrying the almighty Berreta M9 on watch, but I still have a particular fondness of that one. It's simple, and always super fun.