Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JWoo601

Looking to Upgrade from LCP to a .40 cal

I have carried my Rugar LCP for a few years now and have loved the compactness and reliability, but I would like something with a bit more stopping power. I have been toying with the idea of carrying a .40 cal but have not found any that are comfortable for me to carry in my front pocket. Any suggestions within the 400-500 range?

[quote name='JWoo601' timestamp='1327676806' post='14']I have carried my Rugar LCP for a few years now and have loved the compactness and reliability, but I would like something with a bit more stopping power. I have been toying with the idea of carrying a .40 cal but have not found any that are comfortable for me to carry in my front pocket. Any suggestions within the 400-500 range?[/quote].40 is going to be a much larger frame weapon and not going to be great in the pocket. Are you completly against a inside the waste holster or a high ride? That said the smallest .40 I can think of is a Kahr PM40. Personally I would stick to the LCP over the Kahr. There is the Sig P224, but I am pretty sure you will find the grip too thick for pocket carry. Compromise would be go to 9mm, not 10mm. More options in 9mm pocket guys than .40.

Not completely against carrying a waste holster, I just never have before. I'll go to the range this weekend and try out the Sig. What 9mm do you recommend? I have shot a kel-tec and couldn't stand it, so anything else you have in mind would be great.

If you are willing to use a holster the world opens back up to large frame weapons. One of the better larger caliber carrys I had was actually a S&W 457. I was inaccurate but super reliable and easy to conceal. Sig P239 is also a very nice weapon though heavy. What is your frame? If you are overweight you can carry pretty much anything. If you are 130lbs and were tight clothes that changes the game.

[quote name='VS762' timestamp='1329159777' post='67']Personally if I were going to lean towards a striker fire, I would lean towards XD.[/quote]Ooh. I love my parents .45 S&W XD. Dad keeps that in his center console with hollow points.